Dit is natuurlijk geen fraai gebaar aan het begin van de indirecte onderhandelingen die binnenkort zullen starten, maar dat geldt ook voor de verering van terroristen door de Palestijnse Autoriteit, het verspreiden van leugens en het aanzetten tot rellen van de bevolking. Beide partijen doen niet erg hun best de ander ook maar enig vertrouwen te geven, en zo de kans dat de onderhandelingen enig resultaat zullen hebben, te vergroten. Het is dus waarschijnlijk een zoveelste zinloze onderneming, erop gericht de schijn op te houden naar de geldgevers in Washington en Brussel, dat men iets doet. Ondertussen gaan beide partijen door met waar ze goed in zijn: nederzettingen bouwen van Israels kant, en leugens verspreiden en geweld verheerlijken door de Palestijnen. Netanjahoe en Abbas lijken elkaar wel te hebben verdiend.
The Jerusalem Post
Israel OKs new settlement work
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
Ministry of Defense allows construction in Beitar Illit for safety issues.
Israel authorized the construction of 112 new apartments in the West Bank despite a pledge to slowdown settlement building, the government disclosed Monday - a decision that enraged the Palestinians a day after they reluctantly agreed to resume peace talks.
Word of the new construction in Beitar Illit came amid a flurry of activity by the US to try to salvage peacemaking.
US Vice President Joseph Biden is due to land later Monday on the highest-level visit to Israel and the Palestinian territories by an Obama administration official. Washington's special envoy to the Mideast, George Mitchell, is also meeting with Israeli and Palestinian leaders.
Jewish construction in the West Bank and east Jerusalem is a particularly sore point with the Palestinians because it challenges their claims to lands they want for a future state.
Under heavy US pressure, Israel agreed in November to restrict building in the West Bank to some 3,000 apartments whose construction was already underway. But it rejected any curbs in east Jerusalem, which the Palestinians want for their future capital.
The government said at the time that exceptions to the slowdown could be allowed, and on Monday, the Ministry of Defense said an exception was made in the case of the ultra-Orthodox Beitar Illit because of what it termed safety issues.
On Sunday, Palestinian leaders agreed to hold US-brokered peace talks with Israel for four months, ending a 14-month breakdown. In so doing, they backed off from a demand that Israel freeze all building in the West Bank and east Jerusalem before they would return to the negotiating table.
On Monday, Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat accused Israel of trying to undermine the talks even before they began.
"If the Israeli government wants to sabotage Mitchell's efforts by taking such steps, let's talk to Mitchell about maybe not doing this (indirect talks) if the price is so high," Erekat said.
Israeli anti-settlement watchdog Peace Now also questioned Israel's motives. "The Israeli government is welcoming the (US) vice president by demonstrating, to our regret, that it has no genuine intention to advance the peace process," said the group's settlement expert, Hagit Ofran.
Israel accepted the indirect talks last week. It is not clear when the talks will officially begin.
The Palestinians broke off the talks after Israel launched Operation Cast Lead in the Gaza Strip in December 2008, aimed at stopping years of rocket attacks on Israeli towns.