De Palestijnen Eisen.
Als overwinnaars hebben ze weer een hele lijst met eisen waaraan een staakt het vuren met Israel moet voldoen. Is ook wel logisch, als je als glansrijke overwinnaar uit de strijd komt kun je jouw voorwaarden opleggen aan je zwakkere en verslagen tegenstander, die geen andere optie heeft dan bij het kruisje te tekenen.
Palestinian factions release demands for Gaza ceasefire
Draft document conditions include immediate ceasefire, end to blockade, establishing airport, releasing fourth wave of security detainees promised to PA.
Representatives of the Palestinian factions in Gaza arrived in Cairo on Sunday to present a united front on negotiations for a ceasefire. One PLO delegation member, Maher Taher, said the Palestinian demands were drafted earlier in the day and were presented to the Egyptian mediator.
The draft document demands:
- Immediate ceasefire and Israel withdrawal from the Gaza Strip
- End to blockade and opening of crossings for people and merchandise
- Extending the freedom of movement for sailors to 12 nautical miles
- Cancelling the 'safety strip' around the Gaza border
- Establishment of an airport and a seaport in Gaza
- Rehabilitation of the Strip and a promise of emergency aid with the help of an international committee of donors to be convened by the Palestinian unity government
- The release of the fourth wave of Palestinian security detainees originally promised by Israel to PA
- Release of Shalit deal prisoners who were rearrested during IDF Operation Brother's Keeper and the release of Palestinian Legislative Council members also arrested in the op
Lebanese TV network Al Mayadeen also reported on the document, but did not note the clause about releasing the Shalit deal prisoners. The demands drafted by the Palestinian factions show that the deliberations in Cairo are futile without Israel's participation, as most of the document's principles require Israel's agreement.
The Rafah Crossing is not mentioned directly in the document – outside a general call for opening the border crossings. It appears that the factions do not want to pressure Egypt into seeming like it was the only party to unwillingly accept one of Hamas' conditions.
The document also emphasizes that the Palestinian unity government is responsible for Gaza, which represents an achievement for both Fatah and Mahmoud Abbas – who were mentioned in the demand to release the fourth wave as "originally promised by Israel to the Palestinian Authority."
A previous demand to release both the Shalit deal prisoners and Hamas' leaders in the West Bank has been taken out of the draft.
Meanwhile, the IDF has airdropped leaflets on the northern Strip calling on Gaza residents "to pass a message to your leaders hiding underground: The campaign continues. All of the leaders of Hamas and the rest of the terror groups are in harm's way."
Elior Levy, Yoav Zitun, Ilana Curiel, and Matan Tzuri contributed to this report.